The Royal Conservatory of Music (until 1947, known as Toronto Conservatory of Music) is the largest and oldest self-supporting institution of its kind in Canada, offering opportunities for learning and personal development through music in all Canadian provinces and territories, as well as a number of international settings.
The conservatory was founded by Edward Fisher in 1886, and in the following year opened with 200 students and 50 teachers. By 1892 it was organized into two departments: the academic department catered to young students and amateurs; the collegiate department offered professional training to teachers and performers. In this period, conservatories prepared students for examinations conducted by the universities. Originally associated with University of Trinity College, RCM affiliated with the University of Toronto in 1896.